Share Prices & Company Research

Market News

04 Feb 2026 | 12:19

Nestle adds another SMA batch to its baby formula recall

(Sharecast News) - Nestlé expanded a UK recall of its SMA infant formula range on Wednesday, after food safety investigators said another batch has been added to the withdrawal amid concerns over cereulide, a highly heat-stable toxin that can trigger rapid-onset nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. The UK Food Standards Agency said the newly-added batch is SMA First Infant Milk in an 800g pack with batch code 53390346AB and a best-before date of December 2027, and that it was supplied only in Northern Ireland.

It reiterated that cereulide was "unlikely to be deactivated or destroyed" by boiling water or preparation of infant milk and advised parents and caregivers to stop using any affected products even if no symptoms had been observed.

The food regulator said families should switch to an alternative formula and seek medical advice if concerned, and that those using prescribed formula should consult a pharmacist or other health professional before changing.

The recall followed last month's wider withdrawal covering dozens of SMA batches, after the investigation confirmed cereulide was present in recalled products and traced the issue to a contaminated ingredient from a third-party supplier shared across brands.

Reuters reported the broader supply-chain disruption had affected multiple infant formula makers across numerous countries and was linked to contaminated oil blends containing arachidonic acid (ARA), an additive used in formula, prompting regulators and manufacturers to tighten testing and pull additional products where needed.

Regulatory attention had intensified after the European Food Safety Authority issued an urgent assessment proposing an acute reference dose for cereulide in infants of 0.014 μg/kg body weight, using vomiting as the critical endpoint and applying additional safety factors for very young babies.

EFSA also set out concentrations in reconstituted formulas that could exceed the new threshold under high-consumption assumptions, a move expected to influence national withdrawal decisions and testing approaches.

Nestlé said the batch added this week had been "reassessed against an updated methodology" and was being recalled to ensure consistency with other previously recalled batches, adding that the affected product was sold in Ireland and "may have been made available in Northern Ireland," and that it had not been distributed to mainland Britain.

The company also said it believed no further recalls would be required after applying the updated standard across batches.

At 1507 CET (1407 GMT), shares in Nestle were up 1.63% in Zurich at CHF 77.32.

Reporting by Josh White for Sharecast.com.
Get in touch today
Join Redmayne Bentley
Talk to us now about opening a new portfolio or transferring your portfolio from another provider
0113 243 6941
Get in touch today
Contact your local office
Contact your local office to find out more
The value of your investments and the income from them may go down as well as up, and you could get back less than you invested.