skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

In you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. We offer a choice of service channels for all our customers.

FAQs about Opening an Account

Who can open an account?

A UK resident individual who is over 18. A limited company, trust or registered charity.

Back to top | FAQs categories

How do I open an account?

When you are ready to make your first purchase or sale contact your nearest branch or call on 0113 243 6941. We will normally open an account for you immediately.

Back to top | FAQs categories

What information will I need to open a share dealing account?

We will need to take your full name, address, date of birth, national insurance number and landline telephone number. Anti-money laundering verification documents are required for all new clients. 

Back to top | FAQs categories

I wish to trade on an account that is not in my name, how do I go about it?

You can trade on anyone else’s account provided that we have a signed ‘Trading Authorisation’ form in place. If you are not an existing client who we have checked for anti-money laundering purposes we will require identification from you.

To request a Trading Authorisation form please contact the Redmayne-Bentley dealing room on 0113 243 6941.

Back to top | FAQs categories

I live overseas, can I open an account with you?

We will not, as a rule, open an account for anyone resident outside the EU.  We generally provide services to individuals within the EU only, and to entities only within the UK and Eire. 

In some cases, however, and at our absolute discretion, we may be able to open accounts for individuals outside the EU - in accordance with the Joint Money Laundering Steering Group Financial Action Task Force members list. Stock will have to be held in a nominee account, and we will require evidence of your overseas address, such as utility bills or bank statements in English, before you can trade. We will also require your Tax Identification Number, your date and place of birth, which will need verifying from your passport or other official identity card.

Back to top | FAQs categories

I have an account with another broker and wish to transfer to Redmayne-Bentley, how do I go about it?

You need to complete an Inter-Broker Transfer Form on our Forms and Downloads page. This form allows you to transfer your assets into a new or existing Redmayne-Bentley Nominee account from another broker(s). If you have an ISA to transfer to us, please see our ISA Transfer Form contained in our ISA Accounts brochure on our Forms and Downloads page.

Back to top | FAQs categories

Contact us

Use our enquiry form or write to us if you have any questions regarding our products and services.

Client Area Access

» Secure Login

» Not registered yet?